Whether your hair is short or long, straight or curly, chemically straightened, or natural, you’ve probably had to deal with knots and tangles at some point.
It may be tempting to always rely on a hair pick or a hairbrush/ comb to untangle your hair. But to prevent hair damage and breakage, it is important to plan on getting rid of the knots a little more carefully.
For instance, you can use a detangler or a shampoo and conditioner specifically meant to increase manageability so the detangling process begins right.
In this guide, I’ve rounded up the best shampoos and conditioners for tangled hair. They are ideal for any hair type. Scroll through to find the right hair care product for you!
Top 5 Best Shampoos and Conditioners For Tangled Hair
1. Oribe Priming Lotion Leave-In Conditioning Detangler
The Oribe Priming Lotion Leave-In Conditioning Detangler is not just your ordinary conditioner. It works as a complete regimen for your hair that instantly detangles knots to prevent hair breakage and ease combing.
It also contains a hydrating formula, which contains mango seed butter and cupuacu, to add smoothness and moisture to your hair.
This Leave-In Conditioner/Detangler for tangled hair and curly hair likewise contains avocado oil, which is rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E, known to nourish natural hair and locks in moisture.
- Flows right through curly hair and gives stands definition or separation
- Contains jojoba seed oil that seals the hair cuticles to prevent dryness
- Contains Lychee, Edelweiss Flower, and Watermelon formula that defends hair from photoaging
- Protects hair from color-depleting effects
- Has that unique signature scent
- Cruelty-free line
- Some people don’t like the “overpowering” scent, although others reviewed that they like the scent
2. Shea Moisture Detangling Shampoo for Dry Hair Red Palm Oil & Cocoa Butter Shea Butter
Shea Moisture Hi-Slip Detangling shampoo is specifically targeted for people not just with tangled hair, but also those with dry hair. It is blended with Cocoa Butter and Red Palm Oil to give that elongated curl that shine and softness it needs.
What I specifically like about this product (Shea Moisture Red Palm Oil and Cocoa Butter Detangling Shampoo) is that it is formulated with no sulfates, no silicone, no parabens, no petroleum, or mineral oil, and no phthalates. This is considered to be an anti-shrinkage hydrating shampoo for dry and damaged hair.
- Can detangle even coily hair and tight curls
- Makes hair soft
- Contains vitamins and antioxidants
- Infused with Flaxseed oil that completed the anti-shrinkage formula
- Above-average ratings from online buyers
- Cleanses and moisturizes color-treated hair or natural hair
- Smells great
- It may not be as much effective for those with low porosity hair (the structure of the hair does not easily allow moisture to be absorbed into the hair shaft)
3. The Mane Choice – Easy on the Curls Detangling & Hydration Shampoo
The Mane Choice is another hair care product worth mentioning in this list as it works as a hydration shampoo and a detangler at the same time. By using this product, you may no longer have to use detangling sprays as it is already filled with detangling components that reduce the washing process to almost a half.
It leaves hair feeling shiny and soft and eliminates that stripped feeling. This is a gentle shampoo that is good even for those with textured hair.
- Leaves hair super soft
- Sulfate-free and paraben-free
- Adds luster and shine
- Makes combing your hair easier, although it is advised you still use a wide-tooth comb if you have curly, wavy, or kinky hair
- Moisturizes hair
- It may not be ideal for people with low porosity hair
- You may have to shake the bottle first so the content does not come out unmixed with different colors and textures
4. L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Restoring Shampoo
The L’Oreal Paris Elvive Dream Lengths Restoring Shampoo, I think, needs no further introduction. It is just so popular that I have to include it in the list of the best shampoo for tangled or damaged hair.
It is formulated with fine castor oil, known to enrich the scalp that also improves hair growth. This product is also paraben-free. It adds shine, and repairs damage without weighing your hair down.
Shampoo this on wet hair and best when paired with a leave-in conditioner.
- Works well for those with tangled, damaged, or dry hair
- Good for those with fine hair/ curly hair, or just any hair type
- Has that sweet candy fragrance with notes of milk sorbet, caramel orchid, and pomegranate
- Sulfate-free, paraben-free, dye-free, silicone-free
- Detangle hair to reduce hair breakage
- Very few users said it lt makes their hair hard to flat iron, although it does make the hair soft
- Others find the scent strong
5. Design Essentials Honey Creme Super Detangling Conditioning Shampoo
This Design Essentials Honey Creme Moisturizing Shampoo is primarily marketed to those with dry hair. Yet, it also works well for tangled hair. It leaves hair hydrated and is alcohol-free.
There is no non-stripping formula in this product but instead is gentle for easy detangling without frequent usage of a detangling brush. And since it is made with Honey Creme, it promotes healthy hair growth, overall shine, and increased manageability for those with frizzy hair.
- Works well for all hair types
- Contains honey crème that makes it nourishing and moisturizing
- Non-stripping, gentle formula that can be used on hair daily
- Quickly detangles hair
- Thick consistency so you don’t have to use a lot
- Smells very nice
- Glides through hair easily
- Not a sulfate-free shampoo
What to Look for When Buying the Best Shampoo and Conditioner For Tangled Hair
Now, before you pick the shampoo or conditioner that you think will work best for you, here are some things you have to consider:
Look for a shampoo or conditioner that contains plant protein, niacinamide, and other hydrating ingredients for natural hair, like honey, coconut oil, avocado oil, argan oil, olive oil, Glycerin (binds water together), Aloe Vera, and Shea Butter. Any of these optimizes the moisture balance of hair
Why some people prefer to use shampoo, conditioner, or leave-in conditioners that are fragrance-free, I think scents still define successful haircare brands.
This is because hair care or washing your hair is a multi-sensory experience. Some contain argan oil, vanilla milk extracts, sandalwood, jasmine, coconut oil, aloe vera, leaf juice, bergamot, and sandalwood in subtle scents that keep your smooth hair smelling good!
Paraben is used to preserve the shelf life of many hair care products. Parabens (preservative) prevents the growth of fungus and bacteria in shampoo, but it is best to opt for paraben-free options.
This is because some types of paraben have been shown to be harsh on hair and scalp and others may exacerbate skin conditions.
Final Verdict: Which One Should You Buy?
My top pick and is my go-to product from this list is the Oribe Priming Lotion Leave-In Conditioning Detangler. If you’ve ever tried one of Oribe’s products, there’s a high chance you’ll get hooked like me.
Why? It’s because this is a good conditioner that has that light and yet exotic scent. It is not overpowering even when paired with other product scents. It protects natural or color-treated hair and is also possible to use on split ends.
Heals dry and damaged hair
This hair care product does not weigh hair, is ideal for all hair types, and provides UV protection. And oh, it also works as a heat-protectant against blow-drying. Furthermore, this product is free of harsh ingredients.