THE PERFECT TOP KNOT FOR SHORTER HAIR
Hello lovely! The upside down braid is not only a beautiful and intricate looking addition to a messy bun or top knot, for all kinds of hair lengths, but with shorter hair it also serves an additional purpose – it helps incorporate all the shorties into a high ponytail! I used to do it all the time with my bob cut when my hair was much shorter in the back than it is now.
The upside down braid
I used to do it by flipping my head over, and with all the blood rushing to my brain, I had to hurry up and finish it quickly! 😀 For the purpose of being able to film the tutorial above, I tried a new way of doing it, that turned out to be much easier!
So let’s have a look at how I now do the dutch upside down braid 😉
- Part of the top section of your hair by gliding your fingers diagonally upwards from the back of your ears to the top of your crown, secure that section with a clip for now.
- Part the lower section roughly down the middle, this will make it easier to add in hair into the braid.
- Now part a small triangular section at the nape of you neck, the tip should point upwards. Divide it into three strands.
- Start crossing the outer strands under the middle one.
- Start adding in hair from the sides into the outer strands before you cross under. When adding in new sections, make diagonal partings following your triangular guide. You don’t have to be so exact, but adding your sections in that way will make the braid blend better with your top knot.
- After adding in all of the hair hanging down, braid a regular 3-strand braid a bit further and secure with a hair tie.
- Gather the top section in a high ponytail, right above where the braid finishes and tie everything together into a pony.
- Do any kind of bun or messy bun to finish it off.
Have you tried the upside down braid yet?
Or maybe it scares you and you haven’t even tried? I was certainly like that at some point! I hope that these tips, and the fact that you don’t have to flip your head to do this will encourage you to give it a go! Especially if you have shorter hair and you really like top knots! 😀
Have a wonderful hair day as always! See you next time lovely!