HEATPROOF SUMMER HAIRSTYLES
Hello lovely! Some days are just too hot to wear your hair down, don’t you agree? And that’s exactly why I’d like to share two head turning and heatproof summer hairstyles with you this week.
I’ve probably said this many times before, I love summer! But on those extra hot days, especially when it’s humid, I don’t particularly love the feeling of having my hair glued to my neck and my back! Or having it curl in all the wrong places 😀 Those days call for special measures 😉
Heatproof summer hairstyles
THE SPIRAL ROPE BRAID UPDO
The technique behind this hairstyle is very easy and one that you may remember from last weeks half up half down tutorials. You’re just doing a rope braid where you only add in hair to the bottom strand before you twist it over the upper strand and so on. It takes a little practice to do this all around your head though, as you will have to switch the position of your hands. It can be a tiny bit confusing in the beginning and it took me a couple of tries to get it right.
I’m not saying that to discourage you, far from it! If I can do it, so can you, and I’m a 100% sure of it. I’m saying it to keep you from getting discouraged if you don’t get it perfect on your first try! 🙂 Watching the video above will definitely be helpful. And it is so worth it when you do get it! At least I hope you agree, I’ll let you decide for yourself 😉 It is a head turning hairstyle and it looks much more intricate than it is.
- Start in the back of your head on the top of your crown, pick up a small piece of hair and divide it into 2 strands.
- Start crossing the lower strand over the top one (you can cross over twice the first time).
- Add in a new section of hair to the lower strand and cross it over the top one.
- Continue step 3 all the way around your head in a spiral path.
- When you run out of hair to add in, keep twisting the two strands over each other until you reach the end. Then tie the twist with a clear elastic. Hide the end in the rest of the twist (in the pocket that has formed by adding in new hair only from one side) and secure it with a bobby pin.
TIP: Try to keep everything as tight as possible until you finish your entire head, then go back and loosen the hairstyle up if you want to. Use mirrors when doing this on yourself, one in the front and one in the back so you see yourself without holding them. That way you can see from different angles and control how big sections to add in along the way and the direction the braid follows.
THE TWIST AND PIN UPDO
This one is so easy it’s fool proof! You can do it quickly and wear it to the beach or even to a more elegant event.
- Take a section in the front on one side and twist it away from your face, pull on the twist to make it fuller and pin it to the back of you head.
- Do the exact same thing on the opposite side.
- Keep alternating sides as you continue doing steps 1 and 2 all the way down to the nape of your neck.
TIP: Again, use mirrors to see how you like the placement of the twists. Use as many bobby pins as needed to secure the twists exactly where you want them 🙂
Which one of these heatproof summer hairstyles do you prefer?
I hope you try them both! Remember to have fun while doing it! 😉
See you next week!