HALLOWEEN MERMAID BRAID TUTORIAL
I must admit I had tons of fun creating this Halloween Mermaid braid and makeup. I’m not in anyway a pro at doing makeup, but experimenting with all those blue shades was awesome! 😀 As for my mermaid hair, I attached my Glamtime extensions that I talk about in this Game of Thrones post, and moved on to doing a chunky dutch fishtail braid on the side into the easiest braid EVER! If you want to see how it’s done, keep on reading!
Mermaid braid tutorial
To create this look, you’ll need a lot of rubber elastics that match your hair color and some bobby pins. If your hair is shorter like mine, you’ll also want to add some mermaid length and volume with extensions 😉
First two steps are optional:
- Attach the extensions in the back. Try not to clip them in too low, or too high. I used two 3-clip wefts and two 4-clip wefts in the back.
- Make a deep side parting. Lift and flip over some hair and attach four 1-clip wefts to add volume. Two clips in a row, then flip some hair back and clip in two more. Then flip all of the hair from that side back.
- Pick up a small section close to your parting on the heavier side and divide it into two strands.
- Take a small piece of the back section and cross it under and join it with the front section. Take a small piece from the front section and cross it under to the back.
- Repeat step 4, but additionally add in extra hair and also cross under and add them to the section on the opposite side.
- Continue steps 4 and 5 until all of the extension hair is added into the braid and you’ve reached the top of your ear. Then braid a normal fishtail braid (step 4) all the way down.
- Gather the rest of the hair to that one side and tie it into a ponytail. Wrap the fishtail braid around the nape of the pony and pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Going from the top of the pony, take two small outer sections of the ponytail and tie them together in the front. Flip the little ponytail over the elastic to form a twist. Pull out the twist to add volume, then flip it once more and pull it out again.
- Repeat previous step over and over again, until you reach the ends.
TIP: Alternate the size of the twisted sections and tie the elastics in a slightly different position each time. This will insure a messy romantic look.
If you recreate this Mermaid Braid, please tag me on Instagram, #hairsaffairs so I can like and comment on your picture!
I hope you have a fabulous Halloween this year! Enjoy yourself and happy hairstyling! 🙂 See you next time!