2 ELEGANT TO FORMAL HAIRSTYLES YOU CAN DIY
If you have a wedding or another elegant event coming up (which is quite normal this time of year), these two elegant to formal hairstyles for shorter to medium hair are for you💕 Since they are based on something I saw on Pinterest on long hair, they are definitely adaptable😉
The best part is that they aren’t difficult to do at all! Let’s jump right in. If you prefer to watch the tutorial, the video is further down in this post.
French braided side swept style
How formal or not this hairstyle will be will largely depend on the hair texture you go for. Beachy waves will make it more casual. Here I curled my hair with my flat iron.
- Pick up a small section in the front on the opposite side of where you want your hair to fall
- Divide it into 3 strands and start crossing the outer strands over the middle one. Add in extra hair to the outer strands as you go along.
- Continue braiding the diagonal french braid until you incorporate hair from above your ears, then just braid a couple of stitches of a regular braid and secure it with an elastic. Stretch the braid for volume.
- Pick up a section below on both sides, give them a twist away from the face and tie them off with another elastic right above where the braid ends.
- Flip the ponytail over and through the elastic and tug on the edges of the twists for volume.
- Repeat steps 4-5 one more time.
Sleek bun with braided headband
This one is definitely more on the formal side. If you want a more casual look, go for a messy bun instead and follow the rest of the steps.
- Secure the top section of your hair out of the way.
- Tie the rest of your hair into a ponytail.
- SHORT HAIR STEPS 3-4: lift your ponytail and place a bun maker on top of the elastic, pin it against your head with bobby pins.
- Let the hair from the pony fall over the bun maker. Use the tip of a rat tail comb to help hide all the ends neatly. Make sure the entire bun maker is covered with your hair and pin everything with bobby pins.
- LONG HAIR STEP: Tie another elastic at the end of your ponytail and roll it up. You can tease the hair previously. Secure with bobby pins.
- Take a small section underneath from the top part of your hair and braid a regular braid on one side.
- Let the rest of your hair down. Place the braid over the top of your head like a head band and secure it with a bobby pin. Make sure to leave some hair in the front as well, so that you can hide the base and end of the braid when pulling the hair back.
- Drape the right side of the top section over the bun to the left, hide the ends and secure with bobby pins. Then do the opposite with the left side (drape it to the right).
Here you can watch the video tutorial:
Which one of these formal hairstyles would be your pick?
Have fun with your hair this week! Happy hairstyling and until next time!