EASY DIY FISHTAIL BRAID BUN FOR MEDIUM HAIR – TUTORIAL
I hope you had a great Easter break! I’m happy to be back this week with a brand new hair tutorial! 🙂 (Don’t miss out on any future tutorials and subscribe to my new Youtube channel.) In this fishtail braid bun tutorial I’ll show you can achieve a full looking bun on medium hair without using any kind of fillers or extensions. As you will see, my hair isn’t long and it’s layered, so when I gather it in a low pony, I don’t have much hair left in it 😉 But that is by no means a problem!
Fishtail braid bun – tutorial
They key is to braid only a part of your hair in a french fishtail braid and curl the rest of it, using either a curling wand or a heatless curling method of your choice.
Let’s have a look at the video (you can also read step by step instructions below):
- Start at the top, near your forehead and pick up a section of hair, then divide it into two pieces.
- Take a small section of your left strand and cross it over to the right strand. Now take a small section of your right strand and cross it over to the left.
- Repeat the above step, except now, when you take a section of your left strand and cross it over to the right, also pick up a new section of hair from the left and cross it over to the right side as well. Do the exact same thing on the opposite side.
- Repeat step 3 towards the back of your head (you can direct the braid to one side for a asymmetrical look) until you’ve incorporated hair from above your ears and without adding in any new hair to the braid, finish it off as a normal fishtail braid all the way down and tie it off with an elastic. Now pull out the braid to make it fuller and clip it gently out of the way.
- Use heat protectant on the remaining hair and use a curling wand to curl it.
- Tease the hair gently and gather it loosely into a side pony tail (or place it where you like most).
- Now take separate sections/curls of the pony, twist them loosely and pin into place with bobby pins, covering the elastic and creating an illusion of a full bun.
- Lastly, place the fishtail braid around your bun and pin it with bobby pins, hiding the ends.
I hope you enjoyed this fishtail braid bun tutorial.
Feel free to leave me a comment if you have any questions or just want to say hi! 🙂 Have a great hair day lovely!