EASY 5 BRAID HOLIDAY UPDO FOR SHORT TO MEDIUM HAIR
Can you believe we’re already midway through December??? Christmas is just around the corner now! 😀 This week I prepared a super duper easy tutorial for you guys! This 5 braid updo for short to medium hair is perfect for those in need of quick and easy hairstyle inspiration for the upcoming holidays!
I’ve teamed up with Gem to bring you holiday hair inspo for very different hair lengths. The best part is, you don’t have to know anything else than a regular 3 strand braid to complete both of our styles! If you prefer to watch the tutorials, both videos are on the bottom of this post.
Elegant and easy holiday updo for short to medium hair
I’ve done a similar version of this style before with lace braids, and on even shorter hair. This time I wanted to make it even easier, but just as elegant! 😉 All you’ll need are hair elastics and bobby pins. I also used my Sam Villa texture iron to give the lower part of my hair more volume, but that is completely optional.
- Optional: Crimp only the hair below the occipital bone for added volume. Leave the top layers straight for a sleeker look. This will save time and also prevent unnecessary use of heat on the hair that’s most exposed to breakage on a daily basis.
- Pick up a little hair from the front, and a little bit from behind and below the ear. Divide it into 3 strands and braid a regular braid directed towards the back (hold both your hands behind your head while braiding). Repeat on the other side.
- Tie the two braids in the back.
- Divide the rest of the hair into three equal sections and braid three regular 3 strand braids. Pull them apart as much as you can (tug gently on the edges of the braids).
- Fold each braid upwards and tuck the ends behind the tie back, then pin it in place with bobby pins.
- If you want, you can pull out some face framing pieces and give them a bit of curl with a curling wand.
- If you need to, you can further pull on the edges of the braids to make everything look even fuller. Pin the braids together as well, if you feel the need to cover any holes.
You can also watch the step-by-step in the video below:
I hope you found this easy holiday hairstyle inspiration helpful!
If you have long hair, make sure to have a look at Gem’s video too: